Saturday, November 19, 2011

Thanksgiving countdown

It's day 1 after my self imposed rule to write. When I made the blog, I always knew the difference between writing a blog, maintaining a journal or writing a personal diary. And now one year later maybe the fine line is slightly getting faded. So before writing anything,  I will like to apologize to my readers ( thanks for being loyal) that maybe you will be inflicted with very boring and mundane writing. This is being done as my husband will always say for larger scheme of things to come.

Thanksgiving is around the corner and  I am in the process of baking cakes for some of my dear friends in this city who have managed to make my life in this city so much more enriching than what the city by itself could offer. Till the next week I am going to be baking at least 5/ 6 cakes.  It's the most wonderful time of the year and a time to even express your feelings for the loved ones.
As I am writing this I am wondering why we do not have such a festival being celebrated in India. A festival to mark the togetherness of the family, meant only for the family to celebrate and making sure everyone flocks together on this day. I am guessing with new trends and culture and increase of nuclear families in India, in another decade we will have something on the lines of thanksgiving being celebrated in India as well.

Fun facts of thanksgiving :

1. It is said that on thanksgiving an average American consumes 5000 calories in 1 day!!!

2. The author of the nursery rhyme " Mary had a little lamb" Sarah  Hale,  was responsible for making Thanksgving a national holiday for Americans in 1863.

3. In the US, about 280 million turkeys are sold for the Thanksgiving celebrations.( maybe I consume 1/2). 280 million..can you believe that number and it translates into 3 billion in sales.

4.  Interesting Turkey fat : Due to the white meat being the most popular part of a turkey, turkeys have been bred to have huge breasts.  So much so that modern day domesticated turkeys are no longer typically able to mate, due to the breasts getting in the way of the male mounting the female.  As such, most hatcheries use artificial insemination to fertilize the eggs of the domestic turkey. ( such a sad life for poor turkey..I feel bad reading this)

In the end here is a quote for laughs.

"I love Thanksgiving turkey...it's the only time in Los Angeles that you see natural breasts."
Arnold Schwarzenegger


Hope you have enjoyed reading this. More to come before Thursday 24th November.

Roohi Ahuja

2 comments:

  1. Well if they have been bred to have big breasts, how natural can they be?!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! I had the same question in my mind when I read that. But it's more of jest and in reference to LA that can be understood.

    ReplyDelete